Matar Paneer Mini Galette/ Cottage cheese and Peas Mini Galette
Serving: Makes 4 Min Galettes
For pie crust:
1 and 1/2 cups of All purpose flour
3/4 cup salted butter – chilled and cut into small pieces OR
3/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces + 1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp Cheddar cheese
6-8 tbsp chilled water or as required
350 gm or 11 oz home made cottage cheese
1 and 1/2 cup green peas
5 tbsp tomato puree
1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
1 tbsp – Ginger garlic paste
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp cream
2 tbsp cheddar cheese
Coriander/Cilantro to garnish
- Mix together flour and salt (if using unsalted butter). Mix in the butter chunks and combine till the flour looks like bread crumbs. Sprinkle ice water and bring the dough together. Don’t knead. Add a more ice water little by little if you prefer a pliable dough.
- Cover this dough with cling foil and keep it in fridge for an hour.
- Par boil the peas with a little water, a pinch of sugar and salt.
- Roughly cut the Cheese into small cubes or crush it gently with hands.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add Asafoetida. Add ginger-garlic paste. Add Onions and cook till they are slightly brown.
- Put Tomato puree and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Peas. Add Salt, Red Chilli powder, Coriander powder. Stir. Cover and cook for 2 minutes, so that Peas absorb the spices.
- Add Cottage cheese. Mix. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Add Garam masala. Add cream. Let the mixture cool down.
- Preheat the oven at 180C. Take out the dough. Divide into 4 equal portions and make round balls.
- Place the ball between two plastic sheets ( I cut ziplock bags and used them for this). Roll out the dough into 1/8″ thick disk.
- Line a baking tray with butter paper. Place the rolled out disks on the tray. Scoop out the Cottage cheese-peas mixture and spread on each disk, leaving 1 and a quarter inches on the sides.
- Fold in the sides. (I don’t use eggs, but you can brush the surface with egg mixture).
- Bake at 180C for 40-45 minutes or till sides are brown. Just 2 minutes before baking time gets complete, open the oven and sprinkle some cheddar inside the opening of the galette.Move the Galettes to rack. Let it cool a bit.
- Garnish with Coriander/Cilantro and serve.
Note: A lot of folks use 200C but I was concerned about over browning of Cottage cheese filling, hence tries it at 180C, which worked perfectly for me. You can use the setting suitable as per your oven.