I was looking at the dessert section of my site sometime back. I realized I have not been working much on the Indian dessert area which is ironic considering the fact that I eat some or the other Indian dessert every second day. So now I am making a move to the other side of the table and intend to stay there until the consumers in my household plead me to stop Now from the other side of the table the first thing I want to put on fire is apples. I have never been a fan of fruits especially apples. And if I can “dessertify” them then nothing like it. So I am adapting the recipe from my fav chef Sanjeev Kapoor site. The only addition I have done is to add condensed milk and a Kesar Milk Masala powder which I got from Roopak stores, Karol Bagh, New Delhi. This coarsely powdered masala is a rich combination of pistachios, almonds, saffron, green cardamom powder and milk solids. This renders a strong flavor to the rabdo. You can the flavored milks masala of any other brand or create your own using the ingredients listed above. I intend to do a post on this sometime when my bottle finishes out.
Cooking Time: 45 Mins
Apples, 3 Medium sized
Kesar Milk Masala, 2 tbsp
Sweet Condensed milk, 3 tbsp
Sugar 4 tbsp
Milk 1 litre
Cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
Almonds, blanched and chopped 8-10
Pistachios, blanched and chopped 8-10
- In a thick bottomed vessel or wok pour milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer, stirring once in a while.
- When the milk reduced to half its quantity, add sugar and mix.
- Peel and grate the apples. Add it to the milk. Add cardamom powder, condensed milk and kesar milk masala. If not using Kesar milk masala, then take out a table spoon or two of the hot milk in a bowl. Add a pinch of saffron to it.
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes till the mixture has a very thick consistency. Turn off the heat. (Add saffron mixed with milk in the step above). Set aside to cool.
- Pour this mixture in a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios. Serve hot or cold.
Sending this to events Anyone Can cook: series 34 hosted at Taste of Pearl City, Diwali – Festival of Lights Event hosted at Anu’s Healthy Kitchen, Diwali Special – Sweets and Savories hosted at Tickling Palates, ABC Series Begins – A for Apple hosted at Ramya’s recipes. I want to thank all these wonderful bloggers for putting their time and efforts in hosting such events. It motivates people like me to stay active in the kitchen